Hugh Smith – “The story of one seaman who lived and died for Moreton Bay”

Lyn Kathwrites…

My Father Hugh Smith was born in the small coastal town of Nambucca Heads in New South Wales and was the third youngest of nine children. His love of the water came early in life with his Father taking an active role on a vessel conveying logs in and around the Clarence River area. His older brothers owning fishing boats encouraged the process. As a teenager he joined the Nambucca Heads Life Saving Movement and, according to his siblings, he was never too far away from the sea.

In the War Years he joined the Merchant Navy serving on a small vessel called the S.S. “Dilga”. He then joined the American Small Ships and became Master on one of their vessels serving in Port Moresby, Milne Bay, Finschaven, Lae and surrounding areas of conflict in New Guinea. The men who served in all Merchant shipping have never really been recognised for their heroism which included shuttling between areas of very high conflict, in unarmed vessels, sometimes carrying dangerous cargo, provisions, and on secret missions to enable the war effort to continue. Merchant shipping has been vital to all theatres of war, yet in my opinion, they still have not received the recognition they so rightly deserve.

Hugh Smith in ‘Echeneis’ (photo courtesy Lyn Kath)

In 1945 he returned to his family in Australia and made his home in Brisbane joining up with the Harbours & Marine Department and soon became Captain of the small vessel “Koala” which was heavily involved in attending to the wrecked Pile Light in Moreton Bay. In the early 1950’s he became Captain of the 1100-ton Suction Dredge “Echeneis” where he remained until the year 1964. It was the Suction Dredge “Echeneis” and “Groper” that were largely involved in dredging the Hamilton Reach as large shipping had to negotiate the river as far as Bretts Wharf and ANL at Newstead because these were pre-Fisherman Island days. It was the “Echeneis” that was largely responsible for reclaiming unused swampy land at Pinkenba which is today a highly sought-after industrial complex at the base of the Gateway Bridge. It was on the “Echeneis” that my father, as Captain, reclaimed 9 acres of tidal mud flats for the BP Oil Refinery in Gladstone. In 1958 the “Echeneis” together with the vessel “Groper” dredged the outer bar of the Bundaberg Port and the Bundaberg Deep Water and Sugar Terminal was opened on the 20th September 1958.

In late 1964 and with the “Echeneis” in Dry Dock for much needed maintenance the Queensland Government contracted the help of the 1599-ton Suction Dredge “Kaptajn Neilsen” to help with the heavy workload at that time maintaining the safety of our waterways and reclaiming land. Although Dad was officially contracted on board as the pilot, he was to Captain one of the crews as the ship had to operate 24 hours a day, with two crews to keep the heavy workload under control. It was totally manned by an all-Danish crew except for my father, the lone Australian on board. At approximately 11.25 p.m. on the night of Friday 18th September, 1964 the Dredge capsized killing nine of the innocent crew including my Father. In his last conversation to home, he made mention of the fact that he was eagerly waiting to return to the “Echeneis” and his crew who he held in high esteem. I do not wish to elaborate further, but I believe the “Kaptajn Neilsen” was an accident waiting to happen and it was only a matter of time before that vessel came to grief Unfortunately when it did, it took with it nine innocent men. However, a very happy note to the story is the fact that due to the very courageous efforts of our Water Police Divers and recreational divers who apparently put their own lives at risk, they were able to save 11 of the trapped and very frightened men in an air pocket in the hull of the Ship. It was a remarkable feat of heroism in its day – the rescue of 11 trapped men from the hull of an up turned ship.

The upturned hull of the ‘Kaptajn Nielsen’ off Tangalooma (photo courtesy Rob Poulton)

The years went by, some 38 in fact, when fate took a strange twist. In approximately November 2001 another generation of sea-lovers unaware of the events of 1964 were to come across the upturned sunken 12 metre by 7 by 4 wheelhouse. I can just imagine the excitement of Trevor Jackson, Master of the Dive boat “Esperance Star” when he tried to unravel the mystery and put all the pieces together which were all played out before his time. In fact, it was Trevor’s discovery that was the catalyst for me to record Dad’s marine history for his three grandchildren, Jason, Cameron and Leisha Kath. Trevor and I have made contact and plan to meet shortly to discuss the finding of the upturned wheelhouse of the “Kaptajn Neilsen” in Moreton Bay.

Meanwhile the “Echeneis”, meaning ‘sucking fish’, and built by Walkers Maryborough at a cost of 750,000 pounds now forms part of the artificial reef in Moreton Bay off Tangalooma and now gives pleasure to the numerous recreational divers who use our beautiful Moreton Bay.

Lyn Kath

November 2002.

(Extract from ‘Moreton Bay Letters’ Peter Ludlow 2003)

5 thoughts on “Hugh Smith – “The story of one seaman who lived and died for Moreton Bay”

  1. Hi Lyn Kath, was Trevor Jackson, one of the Jackson family from both Russell Island and their uncle’s jam factory and Cribb Island (Jackson’s estate)


      1. Hi Ludlow, it has now been 58 years since my father Hugh Smith, drowned on the Kaptajn Neilsen. All I can say is time heals all wounds, but the scars remain forever. I would also be interested if anyone has information when the dredge Echeneis caught fire prior to be taken to the tangalooma wreck. Apparently police and fire authorities could not explain how a totally gutted ship could catch fire. Any information would be greatly appreciated.


  2. My father; Hector Lindsay; received a letter from the dredging company Christian & Nielsen 13/11/64 expressing their gratitude in assisting with rescue operations. He also received a similar letter 10/2/65 from the Royal Danish Ministry of Commerce “in recognition of the example of devotion and great personal skill” However he did not like to speak of it as he said he only retrieved dead bodies. He was somewhat scarred from the experience but we were very proud of him. The Maritime Museum at Southbank has expressed interest in my offer to donate the letters.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s